Superintendent's Weekly Memo - September 29, 2023
A Google Docs version of this memo is also available.
Dear Mustang Families,
As I look out my office window each day, I notice the leaves on the trees in our beautiful Middlesex Fells gradually beginning to shift from green to yellow. Like me, I’m sure you have remarked upon the morning chill, the fall produce growing heavy in the garden, and the many football games to watch. Autumn is officially here!
At Medford Public Schools, we’re enjoying an exciting fall full of student and community activity. Across our campuses, students are fully engaged in the year’s curriculum, and our educators and other staff are busy every day ensuring the best educational experience for all. Take a moment to savor this exciting, busy and fleeting season!
On behalf of Medford Public Schools and the Medford Family Network, I invite you to join us at “The Purple Door” next Thursday, October 5 at 3:00pm for the unveiling of the beautiful new Rainbow Mosaic! The Purple Door at Medford High School is a long-time symbol of the spirit of generosity and community that Medford Family Network, and the new mosaic, created by Medford fine art students, will be a beautiful addition to the campus. Students, families and community members are invited and welcome!
Today’s Memo includes:
- Upcoming Parent Workshop on Social Media Privacy
- Mark Your Calendar! disAbility Fair and Malden-Medford Transition Fair
- P-EBT Food Benefit Opportunity
- Job Openings in Medford Public Schools
Upcoming Parent Workshop on Social Media Privacy
Medford Public Schools is hosting a parent workshop, The New Norm: Privacy Concerns of Students, on October 11 at 6:30pm at the McGlynn Auditorium. Massachusetts Partnership for Youth will be presenting this presentation. Many of today’s youth post their whole lives on social media platforms that seem to be ever-changing. Cell phone cameras and other recording devices present privacy issues for students and educators alike. New platforms for speech bring new concerns as to what speech is protected and what is not. This in-service workshop addresses what types of speech issues might arise in the context of Tik-Tok and other platforms, what can be done by the district, and how social media issues might intersect with mandatory reporting requirements.
disAbility Fair and Malden-Medford Transition Fair
On Saturday, October 7, please join the Medford community at Brooks Elementary School to learn about resources for those with disabilities. This event, hosted by the City of Medford's Commission for Persons with Disabilities, will highlight resources and opportunities for participation, education, employment, and public and private services in the City of Medford for individuals with disabilities.
Also, save the date for Wednesday, March 20, 2024, when the Medford and Malden Public Schools will join together for a Transition Fair to provide students, families, guardians, and professionals with information about community-based services for adults with disabilities.
P-EBT Food Benefit Opportunity
Breakfast and lunch continue to be served free for all students thanks to state law passed by the Legislature and signed by Governor Healey earlier this year.
Families do not need to sign up to receive free meals, with the exception of qualifying homeschooled families, who can apply for special P-EBT food benefits until September 30. Families (under certain income limits) who homeschooled their children or who enrolled their children in virtual learning in School Year 2022-2023 can apply for Pandemic EBT (P-EBT) food benefits - up to $1,241 for the year. The application is open only until TOMORROW, September 30, 2023.
Job Openings in Medford Public Schools
Come work with us! Medford Public Schools has a variety of job openings available now, including teachers, coaches, paraprofessionals and a variety of other roles. Consider applying today!
- High School Chemistry Teacher
- Cafeteria Manager (Medford High School)
- Classroom Paraprofessional (All Schools)
- Daily Substitute (All Schools)
- October 1: Celebrating Latin Culture & Hispanic Heritage at McGlynn Middle School, 3:00pm - 6:00pm (Event Flyer | Prospecto informativo)
- October 1: Community Day at Tufts University, 11:00am - 2:00pm
- October 2: Meeting of the Medford School Committee, 6:00pm
- October 4: Unified Basketball Season Kick-off, 4:00pm at MHS (October Game Schedule)
- October 5: Unveiling of Rainbow Mosaic at Medford High School, 3:00pm
- October 7: disAbility Fair, Brooks Elementary School, 10:00am - 2:00pm
- October 14: Sarah Bradlee Fulton Day at Salem Street Burying Ground, 10:00am - 12:30pm
- October 14: Harvest Your Energy Festival at Riverbend Park, 12:00pm - 3:00pm
Have a wonderful weekend!
Yours in Partnership for Children,
Dr. Marice Edouard-Vincent, Superintendent